Improvements to the program
As an industry leader, BOC is preparing for a future where demand for training and certification is expected to grow. Driving this demand are an aging workforce, an evolution in skill requirements for commercial building operation, and a growing emphasis on professional credentials for workforce development.
BOC ISO 17024 Alignment
To prepare BOC for this future, NEEC has aligned the program with an international standard developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) for organizations that certify personnel. This standard, developed on an industry consensus model, establishes best practices guidelines for defining job skills of the workforce and for assessing knowledge using psychometrically developed test questions. Alignment with the ISO 17024 standard brings new improvements to BOC:
- An up-to-date, industry-validated job scope for the building operator profession,
- A new comprehensive exam, written by industry subject matter experts in conformance with the ISO standard, and
- Assurance for employers and BOC sponsors that certification is a valid assessment of knowledge and skills in energy efficient building operation.
What this means for you:
If you are new to the program, you have two options:
- Register for the training program only.
i. Eligibility requirements for BOC training remain the same.
ii. Registrants will receive a BOC Training Certificate of Completion (TCOC) upon completion of training requirements (same as current- satisfactory attendance, passing scores for quizzes and project completion).
iii. The Training Certificate of Completion must be maintained according to current guidelines
2. Register for the training program AND certification examination
i. Eligibility requirements for BOC training remain the same
ii. Successfully complete the Level I training and earn the Training Certificate of Completion
iii. Sit for the Certification Examination
iv. Registrants who successfully pass the exam will receive a BOC Certification upon passing the examination
v. The Certification must be maintained according to current guidelines
If you are an existing BOC Level I or II certificant, you have two options:
- Maintain your Certification by taking the Certification Exam
- Opt out of the Certification Exam and your credential will convert to a BOC Training Certificate of Completion (TCOC)
As always, we are here to answer your questions and make sure you have a successful experience with the BOC program. If you have any questions, contact us.