City of Edmonds is hiring a Building Maintenance Operator. Click here to view the job posting on their website.
POSITION: BUILDING MAINTENANCE OPERATOR Job #15-06
CLOSES: Friday April 24, 2015 @ 4:30 pm Teamsters (Union) position
SALARY: $4,450 to $5,411 (2014 wage scale), DOQ, plus benefits
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC WORKS — FACILITIES
GENERAL DUTIES: Under general supervision, performs skilled construction, maintenance, repair and renovation of City buildings, facilities and equipment; performs duties in a variety of the building maintenance and construction trades including: carpentry, plumbing, roofing, painting, masonry and locksmith duties; assures buildings are maintained in a safe and clean condition; prepares and maintain records.
• Performs skilled maintenance, repair and renovation of City buildings, facilities and equipment.
• Performs skilled duties in a variety of building maintenance and construction trades including: carpentry, plumbing, roofing, painting, masonry, locksmithing and other trades.
• Designs, constructs, repairs and refinishes cabinets and woodwork.
• Performs carpentry duties: including construction of walls, footings and forms.
• Repairs and replaces sheetrock, and perform other general carpentry duties.
• Designs and drafts blueprints and working drawings for remodels, cabinets, sidewalks, stairs and various projects.
• Assists and coordinates with other departments for remodeling and space upgrades.
• Serves as crew leader for projects as directed.
• Removes, repairs and installs a variety of flooring including: vinyl flooring, carpeting, ceramic tile, cove base and linoleum.
• Repairs and maintains plumbing fixtures including: toilets, sinks, showers, drains and hot water tanks; installs new supply and waste lines and other related plumbing.
• Performs masonry duties including: construction, repair and replacement of a variety of roofing materials.
• Constructs and repairs concrete sidewalks, stairs, footings and walls; builds forms, pours and finishes concrete.
• Performs minor electrical repairs and replacements including: switches, motors, and pumps.
• Performs locksmithing duties; assists department heads and vendors to establish and secure a keying system; maintains lock and key inventory.
• Prepares surfaces for painting; mixes, blends and applies paint to match or cover interior or exterior surfaces; works on ladders or scaffolding as needed.
• Maintains and prepares records related to work performed including: inventories, work orders, preventive maintenance, key system records and inspection records.
• Operates a variety of equipment including: hand and power tools utilized in the various trades; operates various equipment and machinery including: a boom truck, dump truck, backhoe or other machinery as assigned.
• Performs various janitorial activities including: cleaning and disinfecting restrooms; vacuuming, mopping, waxing and dusting; stocking supplies and purchasing various materials and supplies as needed; moves office equipment and furniture as needed.
• Assists with asbestos abatement, HVAC, insect control and other areas as directed.
• Assists in the preparation of various events including: setup and break down of platforms, sound systems, banners, stairs and other equipment.
Required Knowledge of:
• Standard tools, equipment, materials, methods and techniques used in a variety of skilled building maintenance duties and trades.
• Operation and proper maintenance of tools, equipment and machinery used in the building trades.
• Requirements of maintaining buildings, facilities and equipment in good repair.
• Preventive maintenance principles and procedures.
• Applicable building codes, ordinances, fire regulations and safety precautions.
• Health and safety practices, regulations and procedures.
• Record-keeping techniques.
• Various equipment and repair manuals, product labels and parts catalogs.
• Effective oral and written communication principles and practices.
• Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and computer applications sufficient to perform assigned work.
• English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Required Skill in:
• Performing a variety of skilled maintenance and repair tasks to City buildings, facilities and equipment.
• Reading, interpreting and applying applicable building codes, ordinances and regulations.
• Operating a variety of equipment and tools including: janitorial, painting, masonry, electrical, locksmith and other equipment.
• Reading and interpreting schematics, blueprints, sketches and diagrams.
• Estimating adequate amounts of time, labor, and materials needed for projects.
• Working from blueprints, shop drawings and sketches.
• Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing quickly and accurately.
• Maintaining records related to work performed.
• Monitoring and practicing safe work practices.
• Utilizing personal computer software programs and other software relevant to assigned work.
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
• Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and three years of responsible journey-level maintenance experience in one or more of the building trades.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Valid State of Washington Driver’s License.
Valid CPR, First Aid Certification, with AED and Bloodborne Pathogen training (can be acquired after hire).
BOC I certification within a specified period of time after hire.
Other specialty certifications/licenses as required by state and federal law and/or OSHA and WAC regulations may be required within a specified period of time after hire.
Must be able to successfully complete and pass a background check.
Mandatory drug test subject to conditional job offer.
• Indoor and outdoor work environment.
• Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
• Walking or otherwise moving over rough terrain.
• Sitting, standing or otherwise remaining in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
• Hearing, speaking or otherwise communicating to exchange information in person or on the phone.
• Operating various equipment and tools.
• Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, bending at the waist, gripping, kneeling or crouching, stooping, crouching, reaching, pushing, pulling and twisting or otherwise positioning oneself to accomplish tasks.
• Ascending/descending, ladders and inclines.
• Working at heights, working on a high ladder and working in a confined space.
• Heavy physical labor including lifting/carrying or otherwise moving or transporting 50-100 pounds.
• Reading and understanding printed and electronic messages and related materials.
• Hearing voice conversation and hearing alarms.
• Possessing close vision, far vision, side vision, depth perception, night vision and color vision.
• Ability to wear appropriate personal protective equipment based on required City Policy.
• Working around and with machinery having moving parts.
• Adverse weather conditions.
• Exposure to smoke, noxious odors, toxic fumes and chemicals, epoxy chemicals, poison oak or ivy, dust or pollen, insect stings, solvents, oil and ink.
NOTE: Pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act, all new employees must present acceptable documents verifying identity and authorization to be employed in the United States. All applicants please note that all full time and regular part time City of Edmonds employees do not participate in the Social Security program. For information on how this may affect your retirement benefit, please call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or go online at www.socialsecurity.gov.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: A completed applicant profile in our online employment system and then applying for the job at www.edmondswa.gov is required to be considered for this position. Applicants may upload other information such as resumes, letters of recommendation, etc. at the time of application that will assist us in the review and selection process when they apply online. Any individual requiring ADA accommodation during any part of the selection process should advise the City of the need.