|Group Exercises:||1 hr|
Prerequisites: BOC 1001, (or equivalent), and preferably BOC 1002
Class Description: Participants will learn lighting fundamentals and principles of efficient lighting including: evaluation of lighting levels; fixture and control technologies; retrofit and redesign options; and required maintenance to reduce energy use associated with lighting while maintaining recommended lighting levels needed for productivity and safety.
PROJECT: Lighting Survey and Lighting Retrofit Case Study
At the completion of Efficient Lighting Fundamentals a participant will be able to:
- Optimize lighting levels and lighting energy use in a building by applying fundamental concepts of light, referencing industry standards and measuring light levels.
- Differentiate between types of lamps, ballasts, fixtures and controls and select appropriate lighting solutions for various spaces and applications.
- Identify energy and cost-saving lighting strategies, projects and technologies and perform potential cost savings, simple pay-back and return-on-investment calculations.
- Define lighting management and describe how to accurately create a maintenance budget.
- Describe operations and maintenance (O&M) procedures for various lighting systems in typical commercial and institutional spaces.
- Describe the methods of recycling various lighting equipment and estimate recycling costs.
- Identify potential lighting retrofit and re-lamping projects for typical commercial and institutional spaces and prioritize them based on cost and complexity.
- Recall local utility programs for energy efficient lighting projects.
- Conduct a lighting survey for a space in the building where you work.
BOC 1003 – Efficient Lighting Fundamentals Handbook, NEEC
Special Equipment for Instructors: Light meter
a. Application project 50%
b. Test 50%
1. Lighting Principles and Terminology
1.1. Rationale for Efficiency
1.2. Efficient Lighting Practices
1.3. Lighting Concepts & Principles
1.4. Exercise – Using a Light Meter
1.5. Review & Knowledge Check
2. Lighting Equipment
2.1. Bulbs & Tubes
2.4. Exercise – Using Lamp Catalogs
2.5. Review & Knowledge Check
2.7. Review & Knowledge Check
3. Lighting Maintenance
3.1. Checklists & Procedures
3.2. Planning & Budgeting
3.3. Disposal & Recycling
3.3.1. Environmental Issues
3.4. Exercise – Bulb & Tube Recycling
3.5. Review & Knowledge Check
4. Making Lighting Systems More Efficient
4.2. Lighting Surveys & Audits
4.3. Efficient Retrofits and Relighting Options
4.4. Lighting Power Density
4.5. Exercise – Lighting Power Density (LPD)
4.6. Review & Knowledge Check
5. Lighting Costs and Savings
5.1. Operating Costs
5.2. Calculating Savings
5.3. Exercise – Estimating Cost Savings
5.4. Review & Knowledge Check
6. Project Assignment: Lighting Survey