Duration: 4 hours
Learning Objectives/Competencies for the module
After this class, a building operator should be able to:
- Describe fundamental lighting principles and understand lighting terminology.
- Describe different methods and know how to measure different lighting levels.
- Determine adequate lighting levels according to the IES recommendations.
- Differentiate between various lighting equipment and components.
- Be able to perform simple lighting maintenance tasks and know of proper ways to recycle various fixture
- Describe various heating and cooling systems and their maintenance and be able to explain why safety measures are necessary and what those entail.
- Identify different lighting efficiency strategies.
- Calculate lighting project costs, simple payback and return on investment.
- Lighting Concepts & Principles
- Light Levels
- Learning Activity – Using a Light Meter
- Lighting Equipment
- Common Types of Lamps
- Lumens per Watt
- Color Temperature
- Color Rendering Index
- Lighting Maintenance
- Disposal & Recycling
- Lighting Efficiency
- Rationale for Efficiency
- Efficient Lighting Practices
- Lighting Surveys & Audits
- Lighting Improvement Strategies
- Efficient Retrofits and Relighting Options
- Lighting Costs and Savings
- Lighting Operating Costs
- Calculating Lighting Project Costs
- Calculating Simple Paypack and Return of Investment
Methods and Learning Activity
Learning Activity: Lighting Levels Discussion