Position Title: Part-Time Instructor (Energy Management)
College: CUNY School of Professional Studies
Department: Professional Education and Workplace Learning
Program: Energy Management Training
About the CUNY School of Professional Studies
CUNY SPS provides online and on campus degree and certificate programs that meet the needs of adults who are looking for a seamless way to finish or transition into a bachelor’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, advance in the workplace, or change careers.
Home to the first fully online degree programs at the City University of New York, CUNY SPS offers fully accredited online degree and certificate programs for students who want the flexibility and convenience of online education.
The Energy Management Institute
CUNY SPS manages the Department of Administrative Services’ (DCAS) energy management portfolio of learning programs through the Energy Management Training program. The training is designed to help facility professionals across city agencies envision a learning path specifically targeted to their professional and personal development goals.
The role of the instructor is an integral part of the Energy Management Training team. The instructor will be responsible for providing subject matter expertise to assist in the development, delivery and evaluation of relevant, technical learning programs. The core focus of the energy management training is on implementing energy saving measures that assist the City of New York in meeting its greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Program Director for the Energy Management Training portfolio, the instructor will:
– Deliver course content in person and online to building managers and operators; stationaryengineers; energy auditors, and other facility professionals who work or support DCAS ownedand managed commercial buildings.
– Apply adult learning principles to create a safe learner-centric environment in which adultlearners use critical thinking skills, are motivated, and are partners in the learning process.
– Effectively use various teaching and facilitation strategies to address multiple adult learningstyles, promote learner engagement, and ensure the transfer of learning back to the job.
– Assess learners’ progress throughout the course and the overall effectiveness of the trainingprogram.
– Follow instructional systems design principles to support the development of training materials.
– Collaborate with stakeholders, subject matter experts, and CUNY SPS partners to support theprogram.
– Participate in scheduled instructor meetings and professional development activities.
Minimum requirements for the position:
– Bachelor’s degree in area of specialty.
– Three years’ experience teaching adult learners; higher education setting preferred.
– Advanced degree in engineering or certifications in CEM (Certified Energy Manager), or LEED(Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) or BOC (Building Operator Certification) preferred.
– Ability to effectively deliver instruction according to defined course learning objectives and establishedcurriculum, both in-person and via online.
– Ability to respond effectively to feedback and adjust teaching strategies to motivate students andrespond to their needs.
– Ability to manage the classroom environment, leverage diversity and engage learners.
– Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
– Strong organizational skills with an attention to detail.
– Strong computer skills with intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and
– Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
Salary: Hourly (Commensurate with qualifications and experience.)
Closing Date: Open until filled.
Applications: Please e-mail your resume to Michaela Boren (email@example.com)