Belgrade School District 44 is hiring a Facilities and Maintenance Supervisor. Click here to view the job posting on their website.
Title: Facilities and Maintenance Supervisor
Reports to: Superintendent of Schools
Status: Salaried Position, 1.0 FTE, Full Time 12 month
Salary: $55,000 – $60,000 per year (Depending on qualifications)
Start Date: March 15th or earlier
Under the direction of the Superintendent of Schools, oversees all functions and operations related to the upkeep, repair and improvement of facilities and grounds; coordinates all safety issues and training within the district; oversees the proper functioning of the various systems within the physical facilities of the district; designs and implements energy saving programs throughout the district; helps plan and oversee the bidding process of district projects (including development of bid specifications; helps develop budgets for capital outlay projects and other assignments as directed by the Superintendent.
Essential Job Duties
Maintenance and Facility Service:
- Coordinate all maintenance for district and in conjunction with the Custodial and Maintenance Supervisors, may delegate and direct the work of other staff and coordinates timeliness of projects.
- Will conduct routine maintenance duties.
- Monitor all operational systems within the district.
- Perform appropriate maintenance and contact appropriate contractors for maintenance.
- May assign jobs to specific personnel and provide coordination among maintenance functions in consult with Custodial and Maintenance Supervisors.
- Perform energy management audits and setup changes.
- Supervise and train the maintenance personnel for maximum productivity.
- Maintain all equipment manuals, equipment warranties.
- Review work orders to ensure proper documentation.
- Develop and oversee preventive maintenance program.
- Provide advisory assistance in regard to equipment, facility needs and conditions.
- Develop effective working relationships with service providers and review reports/product on annual basis.
- Work with Superintendent and Fiscal Services Director to develop capital budget plan.
- Inspect all schools on a regular basis to ensure a safe and desirable condition for learning and building condition.
- Develop and update site plans showing utilities that serve the schools or are on School District property.
- Oversees the maintenance of infrastructure of systems in buildings.
- Oversees necessary painting and general repairs to plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofs, doors, parking lots, windows, and general mechanical areas.
- Orders and receives supplies and equipment, maintains necessary inventories and recommends equipment for purchase of maintenance and capital projects.
- Performs emergency repair services as necessary.
- Establishes and recommends, in cooperation with building administrators, priorities on repair projects and estimates the cost of these projects.
- Regulates heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems to provide temperatures appropriate to the season and to ensure economical usage of fuel, water, and electricity.
- Provide assistance for custodians as to the basic job, use of chemicals and equipment.
- Ability to work with state and local authorities.
- Ability to work with School Principals as an Advisor and problem solver.
- Perform annual review of each physical plant’s energy efficient and make recommendations for improvements or needed maintenance.
- Works closely with architects and engineers and oversees the work of contractors.
- Work with Designers and oversee the building of structures, assessing current structure internally and externally.
- Completes minor construction, tear down and refurbish, and builds new projects.
- Researches future projects and develops reports for Administration.
- Oversee safety compliance standards (playground safety, fire code compliance, etc)
- Ensure that safety practices are followed.
- Ensure adherence to good safety standards.
- Advises employees in the use of safety equipment and procedures.
- Reviews general fire safety and other building codes.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
- Ability to investigate and resolve maintenance problems.
- Ability to read basic operating instructions and writes reports.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Demonstrated aptitude for the successful completion of tasks.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the basic techniques of electrical repair and maintenance, carpentry, and grounds maintenance.
- Demonstrate initiative in the performance of assigned responsibilities.
- Model and maintain high ethical standards.
- Follow attendance, punctuality and proper dress rules.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding school/workplace matters.
- Meet and deal effectively, tactfully and courteously with the general public, staff members, students, parents, administrators, vendors/contractors, and other contact persons using tact and good judgment.
- Participate successfully in the training programs offered to increase skill and proficiency related to assignment.
- Ability to install, inspect, repair and maintain the electrical, plumbing and other related systems of all district locations.
- Ability to perform various clean-up and maintenance tasks.
- Ability to update inventories and other supplies as needed.
- Knowledge and ability to inspect and operate the heating, cooling and ventilation system (HVAC) and the boiler system.
- Ability to understand complex written and oral instructions.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupation hazards and corresponding safety precautions necessary for the safe performance of assigned duties.
- Ensure compliance with Board policies and procedures and applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Microsoft Office proficiency (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); and other applicable applications.
- Knowledge of the HVAC Software.
- Ability to be flexible to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances.
- Ability to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups and utilize specific, job-related equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, the public, and staff members.
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities, adapt to changing work priorities, communicate with diverse groups, maintaining confidentiality, meet deadlines and schedules.
- Ability to set priorities, work as part of a team and work with and manage frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student matters.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all District requirements and Board policies.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events, gather, collate, and/or classify data and use job-related equipment.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining accurate records and using pertinent software applications (as required).
- Use of technology to move the District forward.
- Any combination of training, education and experience equivalent to a two year degree in Construction Engineering.
- Successful experience in building maintenance and management.
- Successful experience working in areas as heating/air conditioning, plumbing/boiler repair, electrical, carpentry, or painting.
- Successful experience as an effective supervisor.
- Licensed Management Planner and Inspector for Asbestos Management.
- Previous experience in a public school setting.
- A general knowledge of repair basic and advanced techniques.
- Possess the leadership skills necessary to direct the work of the maintenance team
Necessary special requirements:
Montana Driver’s license or the ability to obtain license within three months of hire date.
May be required to obtain certification as a Management Planner and Inspector and remain certified.
Physical and Mental Demands and Work Hazards
- Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 20 pounds of force as needed to move objects.
- Ability to climb roof ladder and work on ladders within the space.
- Requires physical effort to go to all locations where services are performed.
- Requires communication skills and eye-hand coordination.
- Mobility and ability to independently transport themselves between various manufacturing buildings/locations.
- Work is performed in the interior and exterior of a building under normal temperature, air conditioning and good lighting.
- May be exposed to weather extremes while performing work outside.
- May occasionally work at considerable heights, confined, underground or restricted areas, with scaffolds, stairs, temperature changes and humidity.
- Potential for exposure to noise, vibrations, gases, vapors, dust, poor ventilation, chemicals, solvents, grease, inflammables, machinery in movement, electric shocks and highly exposed places.
- Unlikely exposure to radon and asbestos.
- Knowledge of HazMat procedures.
- Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Regularly required to sit and regularly) walk and stand.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Required to be able to hear conversations in loud and quiet environments.
- The employee frequently works within time constraints and must maintain attentiveness intensity.
- Frequently involved in interactions which require oral and written communications.
- Exercises flexibility and the ability to shift from one task to another.
- Works near moving mechanical parts.
- Effective hearing and speech abilities.
The duties, physical demands, work-environment characteristics, and mental/motor demands described within this vacancy announcement are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with compliance with the American with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.