21 Acres located in Woodinville, WA is seeking a Facilities Maintenance Technician for their LEED platinum building.
More from the employer:
21 Acres is a dynamic place to work. We’re all passionately committed to our mission: to inspire action to solve climate challenges by learning as a community to grow, eat, and live sustainably.
What is the Opportunity?
Do you have experience and expertise with a wide array of facility maintenance skills and enjoy working in a
healthy environment with a mix of indoor and outdoor duties? Do you enjoy food, farms and education, and
desire to work in a friendly environment centered on all of these? If so, you have found your job! 21 Acres is
looking for a skilled person to join our facilities team for a full-time position (Tuesday through Saturday)
requiring basic to advanced building and grounds knowledge; previous LEED experience a plus. Please see
below for a full description and instructions on how to successfully apply.
Day-to-Day on Campus.
• Act in accordance with the 21 Acres mission statement; promote and adhere to organization values at
• Build your own knowledge about LEED buildings as well as sustainable environments and food systems
in order to effectively communicate about sustainable living and 21 Acres’ mission to our guests.
• Perform regularly scheduled inspection/maintenance duties for building systems, including HVAC, kitchen
equipment, refrigeration, water filtration, composting toilet system, and life safety.
• Complete unscheduled maintenance requests, troubleshooting, and repairs.
• Perform regular vehicle inspections and/or maintenance.
• Document maintenance processes and keep logs of maintenance activities.
• Perform data collection.
• Assist in maintenance of natural water treatment systems such as biofilters, bioswales, and rain gardens
• Occasionally conduct light construction to facilitate evolving needs both indoors and outdoors
• Repair and maintain well/pump/irrigation systems.
• As needed, provide tours, be a resource, and effectively communicate sustainable living concepts and principles
• Assist with supervision of interns, volunteers and/or volunteer projects where and when applicable.
• Assist with event setup as needed.
• Operate vehicles, including large delivery trucks. (No commercial license needed.)
• Occasionally, operate rental equipment (i.e. backhoe, chipper, compactor, etc.) and/or operate farm equipment
(i.e. tractor, golf cart).
• Adhere to sustainable sourcing policies when recommending needed materials.
• Build effective working relationships with individuals inside and outside the organization.
• Make recommendations to facilities managers about needs or concerns.
• Act in accordance with the mission statement; promote and adhere to organization values.
• Take initiative on projects, and exhibit commitment to overall goals set by management.
• Exhibit regular and timely attendance, with ability to accommodate occasional irregular work hours.
• Communicate and interact professionally and appropriately with co-workers, the public (youth and adults), and
• Occasional light custodial work.
• Other duties as assigned.
What Are We Looking For?
• Knowledge/experience in building system operation/maintenance/repair, mechanical, electrical, plumbing,
carpentry, construction, vehicle maintenance and/or other related trades.
• Knowledge/experience in commercial building systems, i.e. heating/cooling, HVAC, controls, lighting, water
management, refrigeration, and/or life safety.
• Ability to read and understand building plans, specifications, and/or wiring diagrams.
• Knowledge and experience in safe use of ladders, power tools and hand tools; commitment to using personal
protection equipment when performing these activities.
• Strong communication skills; ability to read, write, type, and communicate in English.
• Experience managing projects.
• Ability to work outdoors with varying and uneven topography, on a roof (with proper safety equipment) and
outdoors in all weather conditions.
• Strong interpersonal skills, self-directed, ability to successfully work independently and with diverse teams.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Superb attention to detail, problem-solving skills, creativity, initiative, and ability to prioritize tasks appropriately.
• Knowledge, enthusiasm, and representation of the sustainability lifestyle and organization mission.
• Ability to work in a sometimes hectic work environment, and be innovative.
• Must have sense of humor, flexible, and adaptable attitude.
• Must pass Washington State Background check.
• Must have a valid driver license and clean driving record.
Education, Experience, Training or Skills Preferred:
• Knowledge/experience in building science principles.
• Knowledge/experience with IT systems and building automation systems.
• Knowledge/experience with Appropriate Technology and/or DIY concepts
• Experience performing and documenting research.
• Knowledge of energy management terms and concepts.
• Experience with waste stream management.
• Knowledge and experience in composting, landscaping, horticulture, and/or restoration ecology.
• Knowledge of water-conserving irrigation techniques.
• Experience with Sketchup or similar 3-D modeling software.
What Can You Expect?
A collaborative work environment with doors thrown open to greet and educate our community. No two days are the
same on our campus! There are great benefits as well as an employee discount and produce perks from the Farm
Market to help keep the 21 Acres team in good health and good humor.
The 21 Acres facility is a LEED Platinum certified building that facilitates a learning environment for sustainable and
regenerative living. Tours and general work involve maneuvering over unpaved and uneven grounds, some of which is
farmland. The work environment has a moderate to high noise level. The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position frequently involves mobility between first and second floors, and the outdoors; reaching, bending,
grasping, lifting, pulling, pushing, standing, kneeling, squatting and twisting; ability to lift and carry items up to 50 lbs. If
you always need to be cozily warm or living in air conditioning, we may not be the proper environment for you, but if
you desire to learn and do the many various parts of your job with no two days the same, this could be the position for
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, 21 Acres is committed to the recruitment, retention and development of a diverse,
multi-cultural work environment. 21 Acres does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, creed,
gender, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
How Do I Apply? Apply Correctly!
The following Application Materials MUST be in one PDF document; incorrect formatting may exclude your resume from
• A detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet the position requirements and what aspect of a LEED
building you will most look forward to working on and/or learning more about, and why.
• Your chronological resume including relevant work experience, skills and education.
• The names and contact information for two professional references in your resume.
Qualified Candidates will be contacted for an initial phone or Skype interview.
Send the one PDF document to: Deb Sternagel, HR Manager, email@example.com
Position Open Until: February 15, 2018, or until we have found the perfect Team Member