Give Your Building a Holiday Too!
One of the easiest ways to save energy is to turn off equipment when it’s not needed. Make sure that your building takes a long weekend by checking to see if your building management system is set for a holiday schedule on Friday, December 25th for Christmas Day, if that is applicable to your building. Most systems let you designate holidays for the entire year, saving staff time and ensuring holiday weekdays are in unoccupied mode. Check out the tips below to ensure your building is saving energy over the holiday.
- Set back thermostats for heating or air conditioning (unless you have a programmable thermostat already set to do this automatically).
- Turn off all lights except safety and security lights.
- Send a reminder to building occupants to turn off all unused office equipment, including computers, monitors, printers, copiers, fax machine and scanners.
- On electric water heaters, check time-of-use controllers to be sure the water heater is set to turn off at closing time and on at opening time.
- If your water-heating system includes a circulation pump, turn it off.
Find out more about building scheduling at http://betterbricks.com/system-diagnostic-toolss/equipment-operates-during-unoccupied-hours