On Friday, November 10th, BOC will join the country in observing Veterans Day to honor those who have served in our military.
BOC is proud of the work we do with veterans. We often work with them as they transition to civilian life to help them use the skills they used in the service to run buildings more efficiently and also offer training to current military personnel at bases across the country.
If your organization observes Veterans’ Day as a holiday, use this as an opportunity to reduce energy waste. Save energy by turning off equipment when it’s not needed. Check to see if your building management system is set for a holiday schedule on 11/10/17, for the observed Veterans Day.
Most systems let you designate holidays for the entire year, saving staff time and ensuring holiday weekdays are in unoccupied mode. Check out the tips below to ensure your building is saving energy over the holiday.
- Set back thermostats for heating or air conditioning (unless you have a programmable thermostat already set to do this automatically).
- Turn off all lights except safety and security lights.
- Send a reminder to building occupants to turn off all unused office equipment, including computers, monitors, printers, copiers, fax machine and scanners.
- On electric water heaters, check time-of-use controllers to be sure the water heater is set to turn off at closing time and on at opening time.
- If your water-heating system includes a circulation pump, turn it off.