Among the Pierce County Library System’s recent job postings includes a Custodian Maintenance Specialist. Click here to view the job posting on their website.
Pay Grade: $15.29 per hour. FLSA non-exempt, Union represented
Schedule: Twenty (20) hours per week on a regular schedule. Schedule: Wednesday-Friday: 8:30 p.m. – 2:30 a.m. per day. Schedule is subject to change. Must be able to work evenings and weekends, substitute for other staff, and attend meetings.
Application Process: In addition to completing the application, please also include a resume. Apply through this site no later than 8 a.m. Thursday, July 2, 2015.
Coordinates and performs a variety of skilled custodial functions for the Pierce County Library System; operates various types of cleaning equipment; cleans carpets, upholstery, floors, and windows; provides backup coverage for Custodians; and performs other related duties as assigned.
This class differs from the classification of Custodian by the performance of skilled and/or specialized custodial duties and the operation of commercial cleaning equipment.
Reports to the Custodial Supervisor; no supervisory responsibility is exercised.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Delivers high-quality, customer-focused services.
- Performs a variety of carpet care functions; vacuums, agitates, and shampoos carpets; pre-treats heavily soiled spots and/or areas of carpet; extracts excess water from carpets as necessary.
- Cleans upholstery including pre-treating soiled fabric areas; removes excess water and utilizes fans to speed-dry upholstery.
- Conducts a variety of floor care duties; sweeps, mops, strips, agitates, and vacuums floors; applies wax and/or sealants to floors.
- Cleans, washes, and squeegees interior and exterior building windows; dries window sills and surrounding surfaces to remove smudges and prevent spotting.
- Provides backup coverage to Custodians; disinfects countertops, tables, desks, computer areas, and other hard surfaces; mops building floors and vacuums carpeted areas.
- Removes and transports trash and recyclables to outside holding bins; picks up and removes debris from driveways and parking lot areas.
- Operates and maintains a various types of commercial cleaning equipment.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Accurately communicates the Library’s policies to members of the public in all job-related contacts.
- Positively reflects Pierce County Library’s mission, vision, and values to members of the public and to staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge of:
- Custodial functions and custodial principles.
- Regulations and standards governing custodial activities.
- Carpet/upholstery cleaning and floor care maintenance principles.
- Commercial cleaning equipment and chemicals.
- Occupational hazards and safety practices relative to custodial work.
- Customer service standards and protocols.
Required Skill in:
- Coordinating and performing a variety of skilled custodial functions.
- Ensuring the Library’s facilities are appropriately cleaned and maintained.
- Completing work orders in a timely manner and in accordance with departmental standards.
- Cleaning carpets, upholstery, hard floor surfaces, and windows.
- Safely operating commercial cleaning equipment and handling cleaning chemicals.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, and two years custodial experience; OR any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
Licenses, Certifications, and Special Requirements:
- A valid Washington State Driver’s License is required.
- Must pass local police and Washington State Adult/Child Abuse records check prior to hire.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule and to adapt to schedule changes on short notice is required.
Working Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in and around Library facilities and involves exposure to cleaning chemicals, hazardous materials, bodily fluids, and infectious diseases.
- Subject to standing and walking for extended periods of time, bending, reaching, crouching, climbing ladders, operating cleaning equipment, and lifting of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Sick Leave
- Medical, Dental, and Basic Life Insurance
- State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees have an opportunity to participate in the Tax Sheltered Annuity Program and the Deferred Compensation Program.
- Additional life insurance for the employee and family is available through payroll deduction.
- Job Location
- Tacoma, Washington, United States
- Position Type