Opens: October 17, 2014
Closing date: November 7, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. PST
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time, overtime-eligible Custodian 3 position available on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. The candidate pool established from this announcement may be used to fill comparable permanent, full-time, part-time, and temporary vacancies in the future.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Salary is $2,234 – $2,949 per month of full time work.
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts.
- Staff are eligible for a free local bus/transit pass.
- Permanent status employees that work 0.5 FTE or more are eligible for the tuition waiver program.
The Custodian 3 reports to the Building Services Manager and is responsible for supervising and directing the work of assigned personnel on the day and weekend shifts in performing skilled custodial services throughout the College to maintain the cleanliness and care of the institution’s facilities. This position will also supervise all Building Services staff in the absence of the Building Services Manager.
- Three years of experience as a custodian.
- Two years of experience supervising or directing others in large-scale housekeeping, janitorial, general or building maintenance, or custodial work or equivalent experience.
- Frontline Program Certification through IEHA (International Executive Housekeeping Association).
- Supervise the daily schedule and delegate work assignments of the day shift custodial staff; prepare and assign weekend staff job assignments each Friday.
- Monitor daily staff work attendance; act upon and maintain electronic leave records for the day shift and weekend staff.
- Prepare the Daily Shift Report as required by unit manager and submit for manager’s review.
- Supervise the use of the electronic key box, issue radios and pagers, maintain checkout records.
- Ensure power cleaning equipment is maintained and in proper working condition; issue custodial equipment and supplies.
- Check and assign Space Scheduling and Production Clearance Reports for use in staff assignments of the day, or for special event set-up requests; supervise custodial event set-up.
- Schedule, coordinate, and oversee performance of special cleaning projects such as carpet cleaning, wood floor refinishing, and floor stripping/waxing projects.
- Assure staff compliance with work-unit-developed custodial cleaning methods and working procedures of Building Services operating unit.
- Perform daily inspections of buildings in order to assure quality building custodial care and submit to unit manager.
- Document disciplinary problems, administer discipline up to oral and written reprimands, and make recommendations for additional disciplinary actions as required.
- Evaluate the performance of staff against established standards and counsel them on performance; complete Performance Development Plans as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality in regards to communications with Building Services Manager and other management or Human Resource Services staff.
- Prepare for, administer, and participate in custodial staff training exercises on methods, procedures, and expectations of the Building Services work unit.
- Comply with Building Services policies, procedures, and expectations, as well as those of The Evergreen State College.
- Instruct staff on safety rules, procedures, and methods; enforce safety regulations.
- Maintain the monthly inventory of Building Services cleaning supplies.
- Participate in recruitment process for staff; review applications, interview, administer practical tests, and recommend selection of custodial position applicants.
- Train new day or weekend staff hires and evaluate them during the probationary period.
- Assist the Building Services Manager in developing and maintaining policies, procedures and budget administration.
- Safely operate forklift, Genie Lift, pallet jacks, and other non-custodial equipment as required.
- Assist the Building Services Manager and Custodian 3 Swing Shift Supervisor as assigned.
- Serve as acting Building Services Manager during absences by the Manager.
- Perform all the cleaning functions of a custodian position.
- Perform related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of custodial industry standards, methodologies, procedures, equipment, products, and training including green and sustainable cleaning procedures.
- Ability to safely perform custodial, window washer, and/or other equivalent work including: extensive knowledge, skill, and ability in the cleaning and care of hard floors, carpet, upholstery, and windows; in recycling, solid waste, and compost operations; knowledge of athletic, health care, kitchen, and educational facilities larger than 100,000 square feet.
- Excellent supervisory skills and abilities including: the ability to supervise and coach a diverse staff, successfully train and direct the work of others, evaluate performance, and address job performance issues.
- Ability to successfully teach and monitor employees in custodial cleaning and renovation practices and the use of custodial equipment.
- Ability to understand and comply with the Classified Collective Bargaining Agreement provisions and institutional, state, and federal policies, laws, and personnel guidelines.
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize / perform multiple tasks requiring detail and accuracy.
- Strong organization and problem solving skills.
- Skill and ability in record keeping including: work orders, staff attendance and performance related documents, inventory and supply lists, etc.
- Ability and willingness to work the day shift, which generally is Monday through Friday, 6:30 AM to 3:30 PM and other varying hours as required, including evenings and weekends.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and have an awareness and sensitivity to social and cultural diversity.
- Ability to work independently with general supervision and as a team member.
- Working knowledge and intermediate proficiency in the use of personal computers, including Microsoft Office suite of software and facility management work order systems.
Physical Working Conditions
- Physical ability to perform work that includes the ability to lift and move heavy furniture and equipment up to 50 pounds unaided; push or pull carts and/or heavy cleaning equipment (up to 50 pounds unaided) such as sweepers, auto-scrubbers, vacuums and other equipment such as mops and brooms; climb and balance on ladders using equipment; ability to reach, stoop, twist and/or crouch; and to perform repetitive motions using cleaning equipment.
- Work takes place at elevated heights; indoors and outdoors with extreme temperature differences; and in environments in which dust, noise, and environmentally approved cleaning agents chemicals are used.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
- This position is assigned to part of the college that is covered by a union shop provision and a collective bargaining agreement. Employees are required to pay an amount equal to the fees or dues required to be a member of the union to the Washington Federation of State Employees within thirty days of their date of hire.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.