The Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA is hiring for a Maintenance Mechanic 2 – HVAC position. The full listing can be found here.
Opened: November 17, 2014
Closes: December 10, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. PST
Note: The College will be closed on November 27th and 28th, 2014 in observance of Thanksgiving and Native American Heritage Day
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination and to building a diverse faculty and staff. We strongly encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women, Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time, overtime-eligible Maintenance Mechanic 2 position available on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College. The candidate pool established from this announcement may be used to fill comparable permanent, full-time, part-time, and temporary vacancies in the future.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has established a national reputation for leadership in developing innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate programs, and public service centers that constitute a unique academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together. For more information about Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website: http://www.evergreen.edu
- Salary is $3,845 – $4,155 per month of full time work.
- Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
- A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen’s excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll/employeebenefits.htm
- Staff are eligible for a free local bus/transit pass.
- Permanent status employees that work 0.5 FTE or more are eligible for the tuition waiver program.
Perform skilled mechanical, HVAC/controls, and trades work in the areas of inspection, repair, installation, and maintenance of physical facilities. Provide journey level services in the areas of work trades such as HVAC, DDC controls, and mechanical work and operate, repair, and maintain HVAC related equipment. This position may also work independently and collaboratively on projects requiring skill in other trades such as electrical, carpentry, plumbing, and machinist work. This position reports to the Mechanical Service’s Manager.
- Four years of experience in HVAC maintenance, operations, and direct digital controls.
- Journey level HVAC status or certification in HVAC systems or related field.
- Install, program, and maintain DDC systems.
- Make necessary changes or modifications on HVAC equipment to improve performance and to reduce energy cost.
- Perform preventive maintenance on mechanical equipment (HVAC, electrical).
- Install, maintain, and repair mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and other HVAC related equipment and devices.
- Operate hand, power tools, and other equipment needed to perform inspection, repair, installation, and maintenance.
- Drive service vehicles as required; load, unload and transport materials, supplies, tools, equipment, furniture, etc. as necessary.
- Troubleshoot reported problems on electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems.
- Instruct helpers and other maintenance workers, as required.
- Complete general maintenance work orders as assigned.
- Work with other Maintenance Mechanic 1 and 2 personnel.
- Maintain safety standards for the maintenance and construction trades.
- Maintain records on work performed; write daily reports and logs as required.
- Inspect quality of workmanship and materials; inform Supervisor of discrepancies.
- Complete maintenance surveys, inspections, or reports as required.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Attend technical training courses.
- Assume Maintenance Mechanic Lead duties if required.
- May prepare cost estimates for other capital projects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Journey level skill and ability in HVAC maintenance, operations, and direct digital controls.
- Ability to install, maintain, and repair mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and other HVAC related equipment and devices.
- Ability to install, program, and maintain pneumatic and direct digital control systems.
- Ability to install, repair, maintain and troubleshoot electrical system (fans, motors, pumps and VFD’s) that are related to HVAC equipment and devices.
- Skill in using the equipment and instruments required to accomplish the tasks listed above.
- Skill and ability in working with diverse groups and individuals.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure and handle multiple tasks while staying on schedule.
- Skill in and ability to read and interpret drawings and blueprints.
- Ability to work on ladders in plenums and other “space limited” areas.
- Knowledge of safety standards for the maintenance and construction trades.
- Ability to instruct and work alongside other maintenance workers.
- Ability to work effectively alone or as part of a team.
- Ability to follow detailed technical instructions.
- Willingness to learn about new equipment and new technologies as needed.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
- This position is assigned to part of the college that is covered by a union shop provision and a collective bargaining agreement. Employees are required to pay an amount equal to the fees or dues required to be a member of the union to the Washington Federation of State Employees within thirty days of their date of hire.
- Must pass a pre-employment background check.
- Must possess a valid State Driver’s License.
- Must be able to return to campus within thirty minutes when on standby.
|APPLICATION PROCESSTO SUCCESSFULLY APPLY AND BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT ALL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:1. Possess the skills and abilities required to perform the position;
2. Complete the General Application form (Word | PDF); and
3. Complete a Key Skills and Abilities Inventory form (Word | PDF) to indicate your ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
4. An Affirmative Action Data Sheet (Word | PDF). Note: Submission of this statistical information is voluntary.Please carefully read the job bulletin and submit all requested items by the closing date listed above. The committee in its screening of applicants will assume your abilities and experience include only those elements specifically documented within your application materials. By submitting a completed application for this position you are acknowledging that all of the information that you have submitted to apply for this job is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. You understand that The Evergreen State College may verify this information and that untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if you are hired. If invited for an on-campus interview, you may be required to pay your own travel expenses
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options:
Application materials submitted to the College become property of the College and will not be returned.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, call the Human Resource Services Office at (360) 867-5361 (voice), or (360) 867-6834 (TTY) or email your request to email@example.com.