Urban Ecology Center is hiring a Facilities Caretaker. Click here to view the job posting on their website.
Position Summary: The primary role of this 14 hour a week, part time, hands-on position is to support the mission of the Urban Ecology Center by ensuring the buildings are well-maintained and hospitable. The position is responsible for the routine custodial needs of the facilities. The Center is dedicated to the use of green, sustainable cleaning practices. The Facilities Caretaker reports to the Facilities Coordinator. The position will assist with daily operations of the Center, as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs daily, routine custodial duties as directed by Facilities Coordinator.
- Performs daily cleaning of the public areas, bathrooms, classrooms, office spaces, and other areas of the building as directed by the Facilities Coordinator.
- Takes direction as needed by the Facilities Manager, Branch Manager and Facility Rental Coordinator.
- Ensures cleaning schedule is corresponded to building use, and works with Facility Rental Coordinator to ensure spaces are ready for use in a timely manner.
- Ensures grounds are maintained as directed by supervisor. Activities may include but are not limited to: Trash pickup, emptying waste containers, removing graffiti, assisting facilities staff.
- Assists with snow removal as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Responsibilities:
Education/Training: High School Diploma, GED and/or equivalent job experience
Experience: experience preferred but not required
Skills and Abilities:
- Self-directed, reliable and motivated
- A “team player”
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Interest and experience in “green” products and a commitment to sustainable and environmentally-friendly practices
- Good communication skills and the ability to interact well with staff and volunteers
- Ability to meet timelines as outlined by supervisor.
Job Conditions/Work Location: Primarily work at inside and outside at the Washington Park branch with Sunday work at the Riverside Park branch location.
Physical Requirements: Endurance to stand and work indoors for up to 8 hours, outdoors throughout the seasons.
Equipment Used: Cleaning equipment, mop, broom, floor scrubber, floor buffer, shovel, rake, etc.